2013 is definitely the year of Steven Wilson’s Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories) which is absolutely brillant (and one of my favourite Steven Wilson’s works, Porcupine Tree included) but it’s also a good year for lesser known bands who released fantastic album like Second Sight by Eye (you can hear it on Bandcamp here) or Ritual by Nemrud (hear it on Soundcloud here).
However, apart from Steven Wilson’s album, my favourite 2013 album is Purson‘s debut “The Circle and the Blue Door”. It’s more on the pysche/occult side compared to my other choices but the most “retro” album of my top with a lot of 70′s sounds and a warm vintage production. I absolutely love it!
So here is my top 10, in no particular order (apart from Steven Wilson and Purson!)
- Steven Wilson – The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories)
- Purson – The Circle and the Blue Door
- Von Hertzen Brothers – Nine Lives
- Eye – Second Sight
- Nemrud – Ritual
- Blood Ceremony – The Eldritch Dark
- Ayreon – The Theory Of Everything
- Scorpion Child – Scorpion Child
- La Maschera Di Cera – The Gates Of Tomorrow
- Causa Sui – Euporie Tide